Sunday, June 20, 2010

My First

Yesterday I decorated, really decorated my first cake.

We learned how to level, fill, frost, smooth and decorate a cake.

For the class I had to bake a 8 in. x 3 in. cake, bring all my supplies, and a batch of decorator's frosting (which when made from the recipe isn't too bad...but if you were to buy the actual Wilton's Frosting from the store, its quite disgusting, so recommend making it yourself or no one will eat your cake once they taste your frosting).

At class we learned to level the cake (cut it in half), then fill it (which I did with Nutella), then we learned the right way to frost a cake without getting crumbs in the frosting and then how to smooth out the cake.

We learned about adding coloring to frosting, how the color affects it, how to make different consistencies of frosting and when to use them.

We then decorated the cakes using a piper gel pattern transfer, I decided to decorated a the cake with a tie because I was making it for Father's Day.

I learned a lot and I must say, my first cake turned out pretty good....for a first.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Way to go Maren! It's way cute!!

Tom and Tami said...

You'll have to teach me how to keep the crumbs out of the frosting too, I always blow that one.