Tuesday, February 17, 2009

He's Just NOT That Into You

This past Saturday evening, the Husband and I attended the cinema and joined the many couples and single ladies viewing the film, "He's Just Not That Into You".

As the plot began to enfold before us, and I saw these women (and men) rationalize that this other person was interested in them...and then their friends just encouraged said rationalization, I was embarrassed for these individuals. Mostly because I have been in oh to familiar situations in the past. In fact, I found myself wishing that I had read this book when I was 13 and had re-read it every year just to remind myself of these fundamental and undeniable truths. Honestly, this book would make the whole dating experience much easier, with much less heartache and embarrassment.

I realized that time and again in my past that he really was not that into me. Why did I analyze what he said or did and made it out to be something it wasn't? And why did my friends encourage me? What is so hard about saying, "Honey, maybe he's just not that into you."? We'd be better off! "Wasting time with the wrong person is just time wasted!"

However, as I thought about the ridiculous experiences I fell prey to, I also began to realize the difference between when he wasn't that into me, and when he was. And of course, my thoughts turned to the man sitting next to me.

He's just that into me.

When he and I began dating, he pursued me from the beginning. He called when he said he would (and sometimes even when I wasn't expecting it, "just to see how I was doing"). He preferred talking to me on the phone unlike most men that avoided the commitment of a phone call and only sent texts. He established our next date on the current date or within 48 hours if I tried to play coy and say, "I might be busy". He dropped by to give me an item because "he was at the store and saw it and thought of me."

Though the time that I knew that he was that into me, or better yet, that he loved me, was the time that I realized that I loved him right back.

One horrible day in December of 2007, I fell terribly ill with food poisoning. When he discovered that I was bed stricken he left work to come take care of me, and was by my side and held me for nearly 2 days straight.

From there the reasons why he's just that into me continued to pile up, and the rest is history.

As the tears streamed down my cheeks at the close of the film, I left happy knowing that I no longer would have to wonder if he's just not that into me, for he has proven to me that he is just that into me.

2 comments:

TysonandMarthaGerber said...

So cute :) We are lucky to have such great men

jillysunflower said...

With the guys I have dated and some people might say I have dated a lot. In the end it wasn't how they pursued me or how many times they called. When I found Mister Right there was so many things I loved about him and there were so many sparks that it set a fire within me that changed my world and myself. Many people tell me that I have changed since we've been married. I was glad that he was into me because I was into him and I still am even after 6 years.