Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Upcoming Marathon?


I’m going to give you another marathon comparison  I’m a runner, so it is just habit.  If you don’t want to hear it, you may stop reading now.

On Monday night I was thinking about the fact that Tuesday  November 27th - would be my due date.  I can’t believe the 40 weeks have flown that quickly.  It felt slow for a while there during the summer, but the last two months especially have really sped by.  And these thoughts got me thinking about the actual labor and delivery.  And then I started to feel it.  It’s a feeling I am very familiar with.  It’s not an awful feeling, but it very distinct. 

I felt the Night-before-a-marathon-dread. 

For those of you who have completed a race or many races, I know you know what feeling I’m talking about.

The night before a marathon I will always get everything ready for a quick prep in the morning.  And it hits me.  I know I have everything ready, I’ve trained for the race and I’m ready for it, and I know that the end of the race will bring great emotions of accomplishment, satisfaction and joy  I will be so glad I did it when it’s over.  But one thing looms over me: I have to run 26.2 miles tomorrow.  UGH!  This seemed like a great idea when I signed up for the race  but do I really want to do this? 
This feeling also hits me as I’m being bussed to the beginning of the race - especially if the bus route takes you on the race route.  Because you begin to realize how long 26.2 miles is. 

So this is how I’m feeling.  I’m ready for the labor and delivery, I’ve “trained” for it.  I know that completing it will yield a beautiful baby and a lifetime of joybut there is still the fact that I have to go through the labor and delivery in order to see the end results.  And that is where the dread sets in. 

To combat this I’m just focusing on the sweet, beautiful little lady that will be arriving and that pushes the gloom aside and I get excited and happy about the “marathon” I have ahead of me.  I know it will be just fine, and I'll rock it.  

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

You can do it girlie! Good luck! And no matter how many kids you have, that dread when you realize you have to still go through labor and delivery hits EVERY time. But I know you can do it. You're one tough woman! Rock it!