Thursday, April 1, 2010

Book Club

Barefoot and I decided that we wanted to have a book club, so we invited friends to join us! I've never been in a book club before, so I was pretty excited!

Our first book was The Virgin Queen's Daughter by Ella March Chase. Its an historical fiction about a girl who is possibly Elizabeth I's daughter .

I had a difficult time getting into the book at first. The author likes to get carried away describing things and at times and I got bored and stopped paying attention to what I was reading.

Also, there weren't specific breaks in the paragraph etc. that would "hint" that she was changing the topic, or that it took place a little later. Sometimes the sentence would end with a period during one event, and begin with a different event with the next sentence. I had to learn to recognize the change in conversation/what was happening so I wouldn't get confused and bored.

I also got confused about some of the characters in the book, but I don't think that was her fault, historically its confusing which monarch ruled when or how, who the succeeded, killed whom, and gave birth to what child.

After re-reading the first few pages several times, I started to get into it and really enjoy it . It was woven with interesting factual tidbits and the fictitious story that had a basis of rumors from back in the day. I had a hard time putting the book down after a little while. And when I finished the book, I was glad to know what had happened, but I was sad that the story was over.

That happens to me a lot with books. Sometimes I start to feel like I get to know the characters so well and then the story ends, and I miss them. Does that happen to you?

We met as a book club this past Saturday and met for tea downtown and talked about the book and just had fun! I loved my first book club meeting!

Our next book, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I hope its good!

2 comments:

Tom and Tami said...

That's why it's fun to read book series. You can finish a book and look forward to the next one because you already know the characters.

Tara G. said...

What does "reading a book" mean? I've never heard of such a thing. Just kidding. When I used to have time, I would totally get attached to characters and be sad to see the book end. What a fun idea to have a book club!