Friday, April 24, 2009

The Sea Vision Society

Today I was researching a question at work and came across quite the Internet gem. We donate a part of the proceeds from our "Ocean Beauty" checks to the Sea Vision Society, and I was attempting to find out exactly what that society supports.

Granted, I never did find out about the Society, I did, however, find the Grammar Geeks worst nightmare. I pride myself (generally) in my knowledge of the English language and the use of correct grammar. So when I read the horrid misspellings or terrifying grammatical mistakes of others, I find it quite humorous (probably because I deal with such atrocities on a daily basis).

When I came across this website, I was ROLLING at my desk. The man that created it, Christian Reise Lassen, is the founder of The Sea Vision Society and an artist (and come to find out a musician as well....oh, I cannot WAIT to get my hands on his album, "Turn the Tide").

His grammar is beyond atrocious. Half the time I have no idea what he is trying to say. There are ridiculous run-on sentences and a comma, placed, after, almost, every, word,.

To give you some samples of the jewels this website contains, here are some direct quotes:

"Don't dream your life, life your dreams"

"Rules of Behave"

"Wizzards also is called Wiz those members who have the super user rights. One recognizes it as a starlet at the beginning of its nodding name. Every member the tasks of a Wiz are various, they care that yourself also on this that the palace is in the business, on the other hand they care that yourself is also to the rules of behave keep and they respect that the member are consistant under each other. You care on the one hand that the Palace perfectly runs and on the other hand they provide it that the Wiz whole work, have, however, the tasks of the Wiz simultaneously, too they."

"If one thinks of Greece as a vacation-goal, occurs a place prominent immediately like Athens or Rhodes then."

And that my friends, is just a sample. I am not making this stuff up.
Be sure to check out the "Babies" tab and read the picture captions.


Oh, and below are a couple choice photos for your enjoyment.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I found THIS site while, like you, trying to find out about the "Sea Vision Society." I am choosing check designs, and wondered where that "portion of the proceeds" would go if I chose the undersea images set.

Those excerpts of beyond-butchered English, plus the fact that I cannot find anything about this supposed "Society" via Google other than references to the revenue from the artist's images on personal checks, compel me to AVOID contributing to this hack's apparently faux nonprofit organization. That is to say, I suspect that this painter, who works in that painfully florid tourist-oriented style found in Hawai`i (esp. on Maui, for some reason), seems to be supplementing his income by inventing a "Society" that pays HIM.

I guess I'll go with the recycled checks that benefit the Humane Society of the U.S. ... at least I have seen an effective organization there.

Thanks for the humorous, if horrifying, read.

Cassie said...

Fantastic. Wow.

Unknown said...

I found this comment when searching for Sea Vision's authenticity also. Unfortunately, part of the story got missed. The butchered English is because the Robins-island site is that of a man from Austria. It took some digging, but it looked to me like the website was written by someone with English as a 2nd language NOT a hack. I didn't find specifics on Sea Vision financials, but Lassen is a world known artist with galleries in Las Vegas. Not exactly my image of a surfer bum looking for a free ride. His originals would be WAY out of my budget. According to a Maui paper, his mother was involved in Sea Vision and recently died.

Dana Leeds said...

I, too, found your post while picking out new checks and deciding to research this "society." I think I'll skip the checks and just go back to my freebie checks. :-)