Monday, December 19, 2011

The New Niece!

The phone rang around 4:00 am on Saturday, December 17th. "This is your wake up call!" Wha!?! Oh! Tami was in labor! My new niece was arriving! And I was going to be able to be there for her entrance into this world!

My mom and I quickly got dressed and headed out the door to the Riverton Hospital.

After conquering a few obstacles - not having the correct security code and getting past the controlling "labor and delivery" access nurse - we made it to the delivery room. The epidural was taking effect, the contractions were coming on strong and the doctor had arrived!

I'll spare you the bir-thing details - but I will say that it is amazing!

I cried.

During the birth and as they whisked my niece to the exam table, I took in all of what I had just experienced.

"Does it make you more excited to have babies?" Tami asked.

YES! It definitely does.

Contrary to everything I have seen on television or in movies, the birth is not loud or full of screaming, blaming or contention - much better than the distorted view the media has given me.

Back to the baby.


They cleaned the little girl off, weighed and measured her, then handed her to her beaming father, my brother, Tom. He then took her to Tami and they announced her name:

Sophie Adair.
She is beautiful!

She looks like her brother with lots of blonde hair and just beautiful!

Barefoot and I were talking yesterday and we decided that being present at the birth bonds you even greater to the niece or nephew than you would otherwise. I hadn't really thought about it until our conversation, but its so true. I feel very close to Sophie already.

I am the very proud Auntie. I couldn't wait to hold her and talk to her.
And I can't wait to do so again.

No comments: